The main Library and Mobile Library aim to;
- Make learning more interesting by providing a wide range of books available to children, under an open shelf policy;
- Increase the level and depth of literacy amongst primary and secondary age children;.
- Connect education to children’s lives and to books beyond school text books.
- Make books accessible to children in a wider geographic area, beyond Suchana
- Disseminate Suchana’s own Adivasi publications.
- Encourage appreciation of stories and connect stories with books via reading aloud.
The Suchana Children’s Library now has around 3000 children’s books – mainly in Bangla, but also in English, and a few in Santali and Kora. The main library at the Education Resource Centre is used regularly by about 150 members across the age range 5-17.
The Mobile Library visits 11 villages using a van rickshaw and colour-coded trunks, and has about 400 members.